New Glasgow

The small town of New Glasgow is situated in Nova Scotia's Pictou County. The town sits along the banks of the East River. The East River of Pictou runs in the Pictou Harbour, which is part of the Northumberland Strait sub-basin.

The town of New Glasgow is at the centre of the province's fourth largest urban area; the population of the New Glasgow census agglomeration in the 2006 census was 36,288, ranking 77th largest within the country. This consists of the smaller neighboring towns of Westville, Trenton and Stellarton along with the western rural area of the county.

The original settlement was established by Sir Robert Kenney. Scottish immigrants, including those on the Ship Hector in 1773, settled the area of the East River of Pictou in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.

In the early 19th century, there were a lot of large coal deposits found in the East River Valley, allowing the town of New Glasgow to quickly establish itself into a manufacturing and port community.

Within the town of New Glasgow, economic development was driven by the steel business within nearby Trenton, shipping and shipbuilding in Pictou and Pictou Landing, and coal mining in towns including Stellarton and Westville.

New Glasgow became a service centre for the county in the 20th century as shopping centres, retail and residential development was spurred by the construction of Highway 104.

Main businesses within the district consist of Maritime Steel & Foundries Ltd. within downtown New Glasgow, a Convergys call centre in the Aberdeen Business Centre, the Aberdeen Hospital, a Michelin tire plant in nearby Granton, the Northern Pulp Nova Scotia pulp mill in neighboring Abercrombie, and the headquarters of Sobeys, a national grocery chain, in neighboring Stellarton.

New Glasgow's historic downtown core is home to more than 150 shops and services, consisting of restaurants, pubs, clothing stores, cabarets, gift shops, furniture department stores, a marina on the riverfront, banks and government offices. A major revitalization plan was just announced for the downtown core. A big sum of the money would be provided by the federal government. Amongst the projects are a walking bridge that will connect the riverfront marina along with the Samson Trail on the west side, a modernized and possibly an expanded library, enhancements to the historic town hall, and beautification of store fronts and public spaces.

The town of New Glasgow is home to several Museums, including Carmichael Stewart House Heritage Museum, local Military Museum, and local Sports Hall of Fame.

Situated within the downtown riverfront, the Glasgow Square Theatre is a 285 seat auditorium that features numerous plays, concerts, and other community functions throughout the year. Amongst the neat features about this theatre is that it can be transformed into an outdoor amphitheatre. During the summer time it hosts celebrations for the New Glasgow Riverfront Jubilee in the first weekend in the month of August, Canada Day on the 30th of June, and the Race on the River Dragon Boat Festival in mid-August.




New Glasgow Naturopathic Clinic


New Glasgow, Nova Scotia


newglasgownaturopathicclinic.com

Email Us



The small town of New Glasgow is situated in Nova Scotia's Pictou County. The town sits along the banks of the East River. The East River of Pictou runs in the Pictou Harbour, which is part of the Northumberland Strait sub-basin.

The town of New Glasgow is at the centre of the province's fourth largest urban area; the population of the New Glasgow census agglomeration in the 2006 census was 36,288, ranking 77th largest within the country. This consists of the smaller neighboring towns of Westville, Trenton and Stellarton along with the western rural area of the county.

The original settlement was established by Sir Robert Kenney. Scottish immigrants, including those on the Ship Hector in 1773, settled the area of the East River of Pictou in the late 18th and early 19th centuries...
  More